Thursday 3 January 2013

2013 Reading Challenge: Book 1 - The Casual Vacancy

The Casual VacancyThe Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Amazing! Not what I would have expected from JK Rowling, but just as riveting as the Harry Potter books.
Set in the small town of Pagford, this book tells the story of the inhabitants of the town. From the towns First Citizen to the junkies daughter. The judgements you make of the characters at the beginning of the book are not the same as what you feel at the end.
I was a bit surprised to come across the 'c' word a few chapters into the book, but I do feel that the swearing does make the characters more realistic. This is most certainly a book aimed for an adult audience, however, I wouldn't be surprised if this book was put on an English Literature GCSE or A-Level reading list as the exploration into the different characters is fantastic.
I look forward to seeing what else JK Rowling comes up with in the future.

View all my reviews

2 comments: