Thursday 10 April 2014

2014 Reading Challenge: Book 11 - Above All Things

Above All ThingsAbove All Things by Tanis Rideout
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was sent this book to read as part of the Britmums book club. I wasn't sure what to expect from the book, as it's not something I would normally pick up, but I do like a love story and the 1920's, so I decided to give it a go. I'm so glad that I did! It wasn't until I was about 1/2 way into the book that I realised that it is a fictional book based on real historical events. I made the mistake of googleing George Mallory and of course, in doing so, I did spoil the ending a little for myself.

I loved the way the book focuses not just on George's side of the story, but also from Ruth's side as well. I did find Ruth's narration a little confusing in that she flits from telling a story to 'talking' to George, but I thought this also added to the emotional side of it. I also enjoyed reading Sandy's point of view as well.

I have never read or watched anything about mountaineering before, so I don't know how factual the technical side of the story is, but it felt realistic as to how they would have been feeling physically and emotionally.

In summary, this is a well written story with drama and romance added in. Whether you are interested in the story of George Mallory or just after a good book to read, this is a fantastic read.

Jackie. x

4 comments:

  1. I knew nothing of mountain climbing either - but loved the book - I think it can appeal to so many people and is a timeless story that really captures the imagination whilst being rooted in factual events. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love historical fiction, as it really has that way of sending you back in time so that you can imagine it clearly. I loved the realness of Ruth's emotions as well and the fact that they didn't pretend she was happy with it and showed her slightly selfish side as well. x

      Delete
  2. I managed not to google until the end but there's a rather large spoiler on the back of the book if you don't know the outcome ! I used to be in the climbing club at uni but I think Mount Snowdon was about as big a mountain I ever climbed ! lol ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't think I could even climb that! I don't think I noticed the spoiler on the back of the book. x

      Delete