Sunday 23 March 2014

2014 Reading Challenge: Books 6-9

As I haven't posted in a while, I thought it was probably a good idea to post the last few books I have read in one go!

Book 6

The Oyster CatcherThe Oyster Catcher by Jo Thomas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved this book. It was a cheapie Kindle book, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was very pleasantly surprised.
The story follows Fi after she is jilted at the alter and she takes the rented honeymoon camper van and ends up crashing in a small Irish seaside village. In order to earn a little cash and have a place to stay, Fi ends up taking on an assistant role with the local oyster farmer. A job she would never have dreamt of doing in her normal life and we read as she overcomes some of her greatest fears and adapts to village life.
It's a lovely, heartwarming tale that is a quick and easy read for any chick lit lovers.

Book 7

Rage Against the DyingRage Against the Dying by Becky Masterman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a book club read for me and not the type of book I would normally choose.
The story follows Brigid, an ex FBI officer who comes of retirement after an old case of hers is re-opened.
The prologue of this book almost put me off completely, however, the book does get much better. It is well written and is very good at keeping you guessing as to who the killer is.

Book 8

Got You BackGot You Back by Jane Fallon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a freebie book that I got quite a while ago, that I never got around to reading.
It tells the story of Stephanie and Katie. Stephanie finds out that her husband James has been having an affair with Katie for the last year. Stephanie and Katie join forces to teach James a lesson.
I found this to be a nice, quick read. There are some funny bits in it, but I wouldn't class it as a comedy.

Book 9

Pride and PrejudicePride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have wanted to read a classic for a long time and chose this book as it's the ultimate love story. It has taken me nearly a year to read! I did love the story, but I found it very hard to read. I found that I was only able to read small parts at a time, so it was often used as my 'back up book' for times such as a bus journey or when waiting to be seen on an appointment. I did think it was quite slow going and resorted to watching the 6 part tv show to see if it was worth continuing with the book.
I am glad that I did so now, and from about 65% of the way in, I was hooked in a way that I didn't want to put it down. Today I read the last 30% or so in one go. Had the rest of the book read that easily, I think I could have completed it in a matter of a week or so, rather than a year!
As much as I enjoyed this book, I think I am going to stick to the movie versions of these period classics.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment