Monday 28 March 2016

2016 Reading Challenge: Book 6 - Lady Midnight

This is also my first finished book for Modern Mrs Darcy's 2016 Reading Challenge.  Yay, it's only taken nearly 4 months to read one! Lol.


Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1)Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Why I Chose This Book: I chose this book as it is a new book in the Shadowhunter world.
Genre: Fiction
Date Started: 16/03/2016  Date Finished: 28/03/2016
Would I Recommend This Book: Yes, if you are a fan of the other Shadowhunter books (The Mortal Instruments or Infernal Devices), then you will enjoy this book.

My Review
I did enjoy this book, but I felt that it was a little too long.  As I was reading it on the Kindle, I felt that although I was getting through chapters, the percentage wasn't going up very much.  I had to Google the length of this book and was surprised to find it was a monster at 720 pages long!  I think for the first book in a new series, this is quite long.  The story was quite padded out with other plot lines that didn't always seem to flow with the main plot line.  I'm sure there is a reason for it and no doubt it will all come with the rest of the series, but I felt that some of it wasn't needed for this book.

For the main storyline though, the book takes us five years after the Dark War to the lives of Julian Blackthorn and Emma Carstairs at the LA institute.  We do get snippets of what has happened in that time for our other favourite Shadowhunters, but ultimately, this is Emma & Julians story.

It starts with the LA Shadowhunters finding out about some odd mundane and fae killings in the area, which links to the death of Emma's parents.  The young Shadowhunters investigate the killings without the Clave knowing and get themselves caught up into more than what they initially thought.

I can't really say much more than that without giving away spoilers.  As I said above, I did really enjoy the story.  It's introduced us to the new generation of the Blackthorn family and it has introduced some new characters.  Other than the slowness of the book, we have some good action scenes, a bit of romance and the usually emotional rollercoaster that Cassie Clare gives us in her novels.  I will be reading the others of the series and look forward to them coming out, but this book hasn't taken over from The Infernal Devices as my favourite Shadowhunter series.

Jackie. x

No comments:

Post a Comment